Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes is probably one of my favorite books in the bible.
I started reading it because I caught these words in the header:
"Everything is Meaningless"
Quite a header for a book all about having hope in God.

But if you've been reading my blogs or heard me talk about life, you'll
probably realize I kind of feel this way really often about life.

Anyways,  this book basically reflects this idea:
-Why work just to eat? We'll just be hungry again.
-Why look for pleasure? It'll only last for the moment.
-Why try to make your name great? You'll be forgotten someday.

These are the questions I find myself asking in my spare time.
And the answers are disturbing.

I mean seriously think about this for five minutes and see if you get overwhelmed.
Why do we do the things we do?

Why do we value school education or how people perceive you?
Nobody will care about your grades or that stupid thing you did when you're ninety and dead in the ground along with the person that thought poorly of you.

Before you get tired of reading all of this:
      Know this isn't another hopeless post!

Read Ecclesiastes 5:7
"Much dreaming and many words are meaningless.
Therefore, stand in awe of God."

There you have it. Stand in awe of God.
It's all meaningless. So what is there left worth doing?
Stand in awe of God.

Live for the only thing that gives meaning and hope.
Not things of selfishness and shame.
"What benefit did you reap at the time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness and the result is eternal life."
-Romans 6:21-22 

It's been too long since the last time I've been inspired by the bible.
I think Ryan helped with that by simply teaching from it.

-Jonathan

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

I love this. I like how you were able to turn it around and show the beauty in such a controversial statement. :)

Laura said...

Ecclesiastes is a good book. Ryans message and the songs we sang in worship in both services made me think a lot today.

Never_Forsaken said...

you know i wrote a paper on that and the teacher almost failed me because of how controversial the statement was. :P. Nice post bro. Love you bro, God bless and may he be your strength :)